Skip to main content

Fogged in Delhi

Our taxi driver was furiously burning rubber on asphalt in his endeavour to drop us in time for us to reach the airport and board the last flight to Bombay. It also seemed that he was fighting a loosing battle. Our taxi was right in the middle of a cacophonous multitude of Delhi’s irate drivers on the newly constructed flyover at IIT and by now even he was edgy and blew his horn more obstreperously than his usual. The traffic not having moved for a few minutes, he took upon himself to locate the root cause of this unplanned halt and the resultant time for clearing the same. The momentary opening of the driver seat door brought in a wave of cold windy draft sending an instant shudder to all us passengers, none of who were particularly enjoying the Delhi winter or the disorderly traffic discipline of the capital. He arrived a few minutes later with a blank look on his face, opening the door once again for us to repeat our shudder and then deposited himself snugly to restart his loosing battle with time in ferrying us to the airport.

It is not certain whether he won his battle against traffic and time or we lost against the weather gods. All flights out of Delhi were cancelled, disrupting flight schedules of airlines and passengers alike, due to severe fog conditions – unsuitable conditions for flying. My mind questioned my intellect – what happens when flights are disrupted in Frankfurt or Chicago?Delhi isn’t one of my favourite cities, especially when it is cold and foggy and to compound problems it looked, sounded and felt dreary when my thoughts wandered to the fact that I would not be able to make it to Bombay tonight. Thoughts of impending doom pervaded my mind and I could visualize all my friends set in party mode for Christmas eve and my anxious spouse, not sure whether she was partying tonight, that hinging on my return to Bombay. Having mustered courage I called home, a huge relief on hearing my daughter on the other side. My wife seemed in no mood to engage in conversation with me and we talked to each other using our daughter as a near UN emissary and all she was instructed to do was to interrogate me into getting monosyllabic answers. ‘Mama asks – are you coming to Bombay tonight? Yes or No’. The salesman in me started my pitch by blaming the meeting, the traffic, the weather, the taxi driver, the airline companies but I think I had rather missed the now seeming distinct click indicating that the phone on the other side had been laid to rest halfway through my pitch. Delhi suddenly felt more cold and lonely.Chaos reigned at the airline offices and upon enquiring I was suggested to try my luck for a flight to Bombay the next morning – no guarantees.Pandemonium prevailed my early morning arrival at the airport. A friendly advisor urged me to start an elimination process of the odds and the chances of getting a seat on the various airlines. Nineteen questions, two cups of tea, standing in three queues and forty minutes later I had arrived at a conclusion – the best chance was with our national carrier airline as not only did they have the largest fleet but they had the most number of flights to Bombay.Viewed from a distance the scene at the national carrier airline offices was no different. Bunches of travelers with heavy bags slung on their shoulders, tickets in hand, querying every uniformed airline staff on the prospects of their getting a seat. Amidst the choppy seas, there were few islands of calm. The newly sprung coffee shops were doing brisk business, their young servers seeming busier than ever. The older apple juice and machine made tea and coffee vending machines were less in favour with the onset of these smiling servers in their pleasantly painted and cheerful kiosks. Adding to the frenzy a group of over restrained children finally broke ranks and ran in between the table and chairs set up for guests of these coffee shops, kicking a few chairs upside down. Respective parents sprung immediately to take corrective action. Security guards seemed extra vigilant and so did the housekeeping staff acting busy with their wooden mops and pails reeking of cheap phenolic disinfectant.Getting closer to the line of control I was taken aback at their courtesy and speed in ticketing. I was amazed to see their poise at handling the already incensed tempers of weather god harassed passengers.Maybe the newer airlines have younger and often better looking staff but in a crunch situation like this the older hands were handling frayed tempers with the finesse and class of Rahul Dravid nullifying the hostile Australian attack in Australia.
Now it was time for the salesman in me to rise above the banal and get one of the booking clerks to choose my distraught looks and endorse eligibility to my ticket to take the earliest flight out of the misery I was undergoing in Delhi.

A few minutes more and salesman closed the deal.I was now deciphered in to some logical binary code on the airline computer and Ahoy Bombay - Here I come.Bye Bye Delhi.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lahore - the border crossover

For as long as I have had the travel bug in me, I have wanted to visit Pakistan and specifically go to Lahore. I remember making a life list a couple of years ago and Pakistan figured top on the list of places I wanted to visit.  I am asked by many - 'Why Pakistan?' - considering the strained relationship between our countries. I have the answer in two parts for them. a) My maternal grandparents hail from Lahore. As a kid, I remember spending almost every summer and winter break in Kanpur, where my maternal family shifted after the partition, and being nurtured with stories of Lahore, it's splendour and their life and times there. I was brain tattooed with Lahore and its stories. b) We are culturally akin. [I am a Punjabi] We speak the same language, have similar tastes in dress and food. We share a common bond of folk, sufi poetry and music - composed and sung in the same ragas across both the borders. And we share the same history. Punjab for the uninitiated is

Pedestrian Overhead Bridge

I drive from home to work every day using the busy six lane Sion Trombay road.For a short two kilometre ride I have to contend with 4 sets of trafic lights and no I am not complaining. At the same time when I am approaching my office, the three lane traffic in the opposite direction carying hundreds of office goers in public and private transport have to negotiate a section, before the Diamond Garden at Chembur ,which has a popular school in the by lane. There are no public transport bus stops in the vicinity and most school children seem to be dropped to school by private owned car's or by school buses.Most drivers have no respect for traffic lights let alone zebra crossings and this section was a chaotic crossing irespective whether you are a pedestrian or vehicular traffic. Till a few years ago, I could see that the school going children had a tough time crossing the road and getting to school.Recently I have seen a set of parents volunteering as traffic wardens and they rally

Eating troubles

If you have eating troubles, I can assure you that have landed on the wrong page. All I have done is literally translated - Eating Locho - into plain speak english, ie Eating troubles. Being brought up in Bombay, I am fairly familiar with the Bombay street lingo, which has a fair sprinkling and huge influence from the native Marathi and Gujarati colloquial. Locha traces its etymology to Gujarati and means trouble and hence Locho , the plural of Locha means troubles. While locha was made popular by Raju Hirani when he had Munnabhai mouth an unusual combination of words - "Chemical locha" . And in yet another another Raju Hirani caper, he has Kareena describe Gujarati food - Dhokla Faafda Handva Thepla Khakra - as missiles. But our Surti's take the cake. They have redefined the traditional missile' khaman into a hugely popular variant called Locho .  I was in Surat last week and savoured this awesome variant of Surti food at the Gopal Locho