Skip to main content

Black is back


I missed the crackle and the hiss of stylus meeting vinyl.

 There was this certain amount of precision and dexterity required to place the needle on the right groove of the vinyl record and then wait for the music to waft out from the seductively rotating black disc of joy. There was a charm and care in gently babying the vinyl back to its jacket, brushing off any specks of dust it may have collected while playing.






I grew up in the era of radio, when television had still not invaded family living rooms. Most homes in our locality the radio played softly in the background throughout the day. We avidly consumed music, predominantly from the movies, dished out by Vividh Bharati and the enormously popular and iconic Radio Ceylon. While Radio Ceylon was synonymous with Binaca Geetmala and its sugar syrup voiced Amin Sayani, Vividh Bharati was in pole position with its detailed information on the song, its movie title, singer/s, music director and the lyricist. Vividh Bharati brought nondescript towns such as Jhumri Tilaiya ( India's answer to Timbuktu ) to fame and virtually started a cottage business of sending song requests to the radio station. Reeks in similarity to the present day reality show sms voting.




New movie releases were preceded by airing their "Radio Programme's" on Sunday prime time radio with excerpts from the movies songs and dialogues meaning to tempt the listener to the movie theatres. 'Hawa Mahal', 'Inspector Eagle' & 'Fauji Bhaiyon ke Liye' among others enjoyed a cult status.





In our salaried neighbourhood, one rarely came across gramophone's as LP records were expensive to buy and maintain. A few affluent relatives though had the luxury of owning a Gramphone Radio - a huge lacquered wood enclosed cabinet having a radio and gramophone sit beside each other akin to Siamese twins with stereo phonic speakers enclosed by a straw matted net, at the bottom of the cabinet. It was quite a wannabe thing to own a Radio-Gramophone set, be like the Jones next door.


I remember investing in my first turntable from the savings of my first few salaries in the mid eighties. The brushed silver finish beauty with it's moulded transparent acrylic hood was the cynosure of our house. It occupied a pride of place in a prominent corner of our large government provided family accommodation. Each month, I remember spending a princely part of my wages in buying Vinyl records spending hours of careful deliberation at my favourite music store. At home the LP jacket would again be placed in a position to get prime focus and attention. Several hours were spent in savouring the music - with the crackle and the hiss. 






For my lesser privileged friends, who were on cassette mode, I would generously make a copy on to an audio cassette ( remember the Sony Cassettes C45, C60,C90) and distribute songs of newly released movies and later songs from overseas bands whose LP records I would buy on my foreign trips.




Black Vinyl LP's vanished overnight in the 90's with the ascent of digital music. Buying new music never felt the same nor did listening to new cd's ( they were no longer called records) had the same charm.

Music chugged along though and went from glory to glory. Radio made a comeback a decade ago, albeit in a different form. FM -it had a new feel and buzz to it. 

I though still missed the Black Vinyl Long Playing records - the effort of piously cleaning the grooves of the record, placing it on the player and then nimbly placing the stylus and needle on the correct groove. The crackle of the needle engaging the groove of the record and exciting the amplifier -it's back now. Black Vinyl LP's are making a comeback. My oft frequented music store now has a section entirely dedicated to new arrivals.


Black is back.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lahore - the border crossover

For as long as I have had the travel bug in me, I have wanted to visit Pakistan and specifically go to Lahore. I remember making a life list a couple of years ago and Pakistan figured top on the list of places I wanted to visit.  I am asked by many - 'Why Pakistan?' - considering the strained relationship between our countries. I have the answer in two parts for them. a) My maternal grandparents hail from Lahore. As a kid, I remember spending almost every summer and winter break in Kanpur, where my maternal family shifted after the partition, and being nurtured with stories of Lahore, it's splendour and their life and times there. I was brain tattooed with Lahore and its stories. b) We are culturally akin. [I am a Punjabi] We speak the same language, have similar tastes in dress and food. We share a common bond of folk, sufi poetry and music - composed and sung in the same ragas across both the borders. And we share the same history. Punjab for the uninitiated is

Pedestrian Overhead Bridge

I drive from home to work every day using the busy six lane Sion Trombay road.For a short two kilometre ride I have to contend with 4 sets of trafic lights and no I am not complaining. At the same time when I am approaching my office, the three lane traffic in the opposite direction carying hundreds of office goers in public and private transport have to negotiate a section, before the Diamond Garden at Chembur ,which has a popular school in the by lane. There are no public transport bus stops in the vicinity and most school children seem to be dropped to school by private owned car's or by school buses.Most drivers have no respect for traffic lights let alone zebra crossings and this section was a chaotic crossing irespective whether you are a pedestrian or vehicular traffic. Till a few years ago, I could see that the school going children had a tough time crossing the road and getting to school.Recently I have seen a set of parents volunteering as traffic wardens and they rally

Eating troubles

If you have eating troubles, I can assure you that have landed on the wrong page. All I have done is literally translated - Eating Locho - into plain speak english, ie Eating troubles. Being brought up in Bombay, I am fairly familiar with the Bombay street lingo, which has a fair sprinkling and huge influence from the native Marathi and Gujarati colloquial. Locha traces its etymology to Gujarati and means trouble and hence Locho , the plural of Locha means troubles. While locha was made popular by Raju Hirani when he had Munnabhai mouth an unusual combination of words - "Chemical locha" . And in yet another another Raju Hirani caper, he has Kareena describe Gujarati food - Dhokla Faafda Handva Thepla Khakra - as missiles. But our Surti's take the cake. They have redefined the traditional missile' khaman into a hugely popular variant called Locho .  I was in Surat last week and savoured this awesome variant of Surti food at the Gopal Locho